Young House (Frank G. & Caroline Young)
830 22nd Street
Rock Island Landmark, 1994; Broadway National Register District, 1998
Significance StatementOrnate Queen Anne details paired with classical Colonial Revival elements.
Colonial Revival with Free Classic Queen Anne influences
Architect / Builder
Drack, Leonard, Architect; Volk, John, Builder
Broadway; 22nd and 23rd Streets
Built in 1907, the Young House was originally home to Frank G. Young, owner of Young & McCombs Department Store. Architect Leonard Drack, who lived directly south with his wife Ida, designed this home. Like his personal residence, Drack displayed the transition from Queen Anne to Colonial Revival architectural styles in Young’s house. This home pairs the ornate details and steeply pitched roof typical to Queen Anne structures with the classical, more staid design of Colonial Revival buildings. Massive, fluted columns dominate the front facade. The steep, hipped roof features four hipped dormers. Wide eaves extend over a wide frieze atop narrow clapboard siding. A two-story bay on the south, a one-story bay on the front, a square one-story bay on the north and a five-sided bay on the northeast corner interrupt the basically rectangular lines of the house. Note the variety of art glass windows, including the ornate beveled transoms, beveled shield design in the front door, opalescent art glass tulip design on the northeast corner, and the grape design on the north bay.
Frank G. Young was involved in retailing most of his adult life. In 1893 at 31 years of age, Young partnered with William Sharp McCombs to form Young & McCombs. This new venture proved profitable, so the department store moved a number of times in the next decade to progressively larger accommodations. In 1909 the Young & McCombs Co-Operative Company moved to lavish headquarters at the new, six-story Best Building on the northeast corner of 17th Street and 2nd Avenue. Mr. Young retired from business two years before his death in 1923.