- Community & Recreation
- Historic Preservation
- Historic Structures
- Atkinson House (Christopher Atkinson)
Atkinson House (Christopher & Ann [Lambert] Atkinson)
3004 10th Avenue
Rock Island Landmark, 1987
Significance StatementVery early and rural Italianate structure associated with brickyard owner.
Architect / BuilderAtkinson, Christopher
Christopher Atkinson, who owned a brick manufacturing company in Rock Island during the mid-1850s, built this home. It appears he always lived near the brickyard, first at a house on “Bluff Road,” then near 30th Street and 7th Avenue, and finally here at the house on 10th Avenue. The home was probably built from bricks manufactured at Atkinson’s brickyard.
According to memoirs by Sylvester W. McMasters, Atkinson was in partnership with Elisha P. Reynolds for brick making. Their first brickyard was located near 7th Avenue and 29th Street, but not finding enough clay, they moved up the hill. That brickyard continued in operation with William Atkinson & Oloff.
Atkinson was credited for constructing the first Rock Island high school in 1858, which was torched just before the school system took occupancy. Other significant buildings constructed by Atkinson include the Buford Block, Rock Island Plow Works, Rock Island Water Works and the residence of P. L. Mitchell, another Rock Island Landmark, at 1131 2nd Avenue. Atkinson’s firm is also credited with laying the first brick streets in the city.