1929 17th Street
Designation
Rock Island's 100 Most Significant Unprotected Structures, 2009
Significance Statement
Exemplary stone cottage variation of the Tudor Revival style.
Architectural Style
Tudor Revival
Construction Date
1939
Architect / Builder
Architect, Unknown; Rausch, George C., Builder
Tour Publications
None
Rustic Tudor
This late Tudor Revival house has rustic limestone walls with an uneven, almost random pattern. A relatively small proportion of Tudor Revivals have stone as the principal wall material. The typical half-timbering is present on the front facade. There are multiple gables, and the gable with the rounded door entrance has an elongated side that curves at the end. The ornamental light above the door appears to be original. The gable end details are plain. There is a large, round bay on the south side of the house topped with a conical roof. The bay is completely filled with narrow casement windows, which are present throughout the rest of the home.
Manual Arts Instructor George Rausch
The house took three years for manual arts instructor George C. Rausch to complete.
The Argus reported that he had spent all his spare time working on the home. At the time he completed the home, he worked at Rock Island High School. By 1945 he worked for International Harvester as a training director. The Rauschs would own the home until 1958, when it was purchased by Ronald F. Tucker, who was a salesman for
The Argus.
Location
Map It