Rausch House (George C. & Nada Rausch)

1929 17th StreetRausch House


Designation

Rock Island's 100 Most Significant Unprotected Structures, 2009

Significance Statement

Exemplary stone cottage variation of the Tudor Revival style.


Architectural Style

Tudor Revival

Construction Date

1939


Architect / Builder

Architect, Unknown; Rausch, George C., Builder

Tour Publications

None

Rustic Tudor

This late Tudor Revival house has rustic limestone walls with an uneven, almost random pattern. A relatively small proportion of Tudor Revivals have stone as the principal wall material. The typical half-timbering is present on the front facade. There are multiple gables, and the gable with the rounded door entrance has an elongated side that curves at the end. The ornamental light above the door appears to be original. The gable end details are plain. There is a large, round bay on the south side of the house topped with a conical roof. The bay is completely filled with narrow casement windows, which are present throughout the rest of the home.

Manual Arts Instructor George Rausch

The house took three years for manual arts instructor George C. Rausch to complete. The Argus reported that he had spent all his spare time working on the home. At the time he completed the home, he worked at Rock Island High School. By 1945 he worked for International Harvester as a training director. The Rauschs would own the home until 1958, when it was purchased by Ronald F. Tucker, who was a salesman for The Argus.

Location

Map It