How am I protected as a homeowner hiring a contractor?
Make sure the contractor gets a building permit and that home owner has a written contract with them. City of Rock Island requires all contractors to register with the Inspection Division and provide proof of liability insurance when they pull a permit. We do this to protect the homeowner in case a contractor or their employee would be injured on the homeowner's property. Please remember if the contractor does not get a permit, the applicant could be held liable if they are injured, and they will receive no inspections to insure the work was done according to code. The State of Illinois has a Home Repair and Remodeling Act that requires contractors to provide a written contract.

Show All Answers

1. Do I have to hire a licensed contractor to do work on my own home?
2. How am I protected as a homeowner hiring a contractor?
3. Do I have to bring an older home up to current codes when remodeling?
4. What if I've made an alteration to my home without pulling a permit?
5. What if I need a permit extension?
6. Why would a Stop Work Order be issued?
7. Can the City waive a code requirement?