- City Services
- Fire & Ambulance
- Employment Opportunities
QualificationsThose interested in employment with the Rock Island Fire Department must:
- Be a high school graduate or equivalent
- Possess a valid driver's license
- Be at least 21 years of age
- Have good character and meet all requirements of the Board of Fire and Police Commissioners and State of Illinois
- Possess an Illinois Department of Public Health EMT-Paramedic Certification at time employment is offered
- Successful completion of a Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT) with ladder climb
- Obtain State of Illinois Firefighter II Certification within 18 months from date of employment
Testing, Interviews & Eligibility ListThe Fire Department holds testing every two years to establish an eligibility list for new appointments. The first stage of the testing consists of an applicant successfully completing the Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT); more information is listed in the Fire Fighter Testing Information Packet. The next step is a written test which, if passed, grants the applicant an interview with the Fire and Police Commission. Preference points are given to Certified Illinois EMT-Paramedics and Certified Fire Fighter IIs.
When the current eligibility list expires, applications will be taken by the Human Resources Department. Only online applications are accepted. To check for employment opportunities with the Rock Island Fire Department, please visit the employment page.
Fire Fighter Testing Information Packet
Candidate Physical Ability Test Informational Packet (16.3 Mb, 3 minute download)
YouTube Video of the CPAT Test
Contact the Human Resources department for scheduled dates of tests.