- City Services
- Refuse, Recycling & Yard Waste
- Refuse Collection
Associated FeesThe City of Rock Island collects residential refuse once a week. A refuse fee with the following charges will be applied to your City utility bill:
- Single-family home: $11 per month, $33 per quarter
- Duplex: $22 per month, $66 per quarter
- Triplex: $33 per month, $99 per quarter
- Fourplex: $44 per month, $132 per quarter
Refuse CartsThe City provides every dwelling unit with one refuse cart at no charge.
Additional refuse carts may be rented from the City for $11 per month and is billed $33 per quarter on in the property owner's utility bill.
To cancel the use of an additional cart, please fill out a Voluntary Service Cancellation and return it to the Finance Department at 1528 3rd Avenue.
Refuse carts are owned and maintained by the City. The Public Works Department will replace stolen refuse carts and repair or replace refuse carts damaged through normal activities. The customer will be charged for the repair or replacement of refuse carts damaged due to customer negligence or abuse.
The total weight of the refuse cart and refuse must not exceed the maximum weight shown on the refuse cart lid.
Refuse Cart Placement GuidelinesPlease follow these guidelines when setting out your refuse cart for collection:
- Leave a gap of at least three feet between refuse carts.
- Place refuse carts one foot from the curb or alley and at least three feet from any obstacle such as a parked vehicle, utility pole, or mailbox.
- Place refuse carts with the wheels and handle towards your home.
- Refuse cart lids must be closed.
- Refuse that could damage the refuse cart, refuse truck, or that is prohibited for disposal in the landfill must not be placed in refuse carts. These materials include:
- Rock, concrete, and asphalt
- Hazardous waste (such as paint, cleaning supplies, pesticides)
- Flammable liquids
- Hot ashes or coals
- Yard waste