Downtown Steering Committee
- This Committee meets at 4 p.m. the third Tuesday of every month.
- Contact Jack Cullen for more information about meetings.
|2022 Meeting Dates|
|January 18th||February 15th||March 15th|
|April 19th||May 17th||June 21st|
|July 19th||August 16th||September 20th|
|October 18th||November 15th||December 20th|
In early 2021, the City of Rock Island’s City Council approved a contract with the Quad Cities Chamber to provide place management services and explore the creation of a downtown place management organization.
- Explore the creation of downtown place management organization
- Determine a sustainable funding model for a place management organization
- Represent and advocate for downtown property owners, businesses and residents
- Help the City prioritize TIF funds to deliver services in downtown Rock Island to enhance public spaces, encourage investment and improve quality of life
- Market the downtown as a great place to live, work and play through website and social media
- Draft articles and updates on downtown activities for newsletters and website as needed
- Establish and foster relationships with all stakeholders
- Conduct community outreach and consensus building regarding urban planning initiatives impacting the downtown
- Identify funding opportunities through the identification of public and private partners and grant opportunities
To make sure that a representative set of voices could provide guidance on the work, a Downtown Task Force appointed by Mayor Thoms in 2020 became a Steering Committee made up of property owners, City officials and other stakeholders. The Steering Committee meets monthly to discuss what a downtown placemaking organization should be responsible for, how the downtown should look and ways the downtown can be promoted. Their recommendations are communicated to the City Council by the Downtown Director, who helps advise on investments and improvements.
Agenda & Minutes
- Downtown Rock Island awarded State of Illinois grant for Arts Alley
- Riverfront Council Recognizes Downtown Rock Island for revitalization efforts
- Bike to Work and Spring Cleanup events engage Downtown Rock Island workforce
- Multimillion-dollar Downtown Rock Island streetscaping project moves forward
- City Council updated on efforts to revitalize Downtown Rock Island
- New Orleans flair coming to Downtown Rock Island
- Student's award-wining artwork becomes mural in Downtown Rock Island
- Downtown Rock Island Director hired to help lead revitalization efforts
- City of Rock Island selects Quad Cities Chamber to manage downtown
- Arron Sutherland, Illinois Casualty Company (Chair)
- Nicole Watson-Lam, Ms. BriMani’s Hair & Beauty Supply/The Urban Reserve (Vice Chair)
- Paul Phares, Robert Young Center/UnityPoint Health - Trinity