Downtown Steering Committee
NOTICE: The timeline for considering the SSA establishing ordinance that was previously published incorrectly state that the City Council would have a first reading of that ordinance on November 21. The first reading will actually take place at the City Council's regular meeting scheduled for November 28. The second reading for the ordinance will take place on December 12 as originally published. No other dates in the SSA process timeline are changed.
- This Committee meets at 4 p.m. the third Tuesday of every month.
- Contact Jack Cullen for more information about meetings.
- Engaged and constructive downtown stakeholders are invited to attend the Downtown Steering Committee meeting at 4 p.m. Tuesday, November 15th, at the Holiday Inn to discuss the proposed Special Service Area sand other downtown matters. Interested parties unable to attend in-person may join the meeting virtually via Zoom.
|2022 Meeting Dates|
|January 18th||February 15th||March 15th|
|April 19th||May 17th||June 21st|
|July 19th||August 16th||September 20th|
|October 18th||November 15th||December 20th|
In early 2021, the City of Rock Island’s City Council approved a contract with the Quad Cities Chamber to provide place management services and explore the creation of a downtown place management organization.
- Explore the creation of downtown place management organization
- Determine a sustainable funding model for a place management organization
- Represent and advocate for downtown property owners, businesses and residents
- Help the City prioritize TIF funds to deliver services in downtown Rock Island to enhance public spaces, encourage investment and improve quality of life
- Market the downtown as a great place to live, work and play through website and social media
- Draft articles and updates on downtown activities for newsletters and website as needed
- Establish and foster relationships with all stakeholders
- Conduct community outreach and consensus building regarding urban planning initiatives impacting the downtown
- Identify funding opportunities through the identification of public and private partners and grant opportunities
To make sure that a representative set of voices could provide guidance on the work, a Downtown Task Force appointed by Mayor Thoms in 2020 became a Steering Committee made up of property owners, City officials and other stakeholders. The Steering Committee meets monthly to discuss what a downtown placemaking organization should be responsible for, how the downtown should look and ways the downtown can be promoted. Their recommendations are communicated to the City Council by the Downtown Director, who helps advise on investments and improvements.
Agenda & Minutes
- Viewpoint: SSA right move for downtown Rock Island
- Deck the Downtowns: Holiday Train Hunt and Gift Inspiration
- Viewpoint: Special Service Area is a vehicle to build and celebrate downtown Rock Island
- Downtown Rock Island awarded $3 million State of Illinois grant for revitalization
- New SSA and place management organization proposed to help revitalize Downtown Rock Island
- Downtown Rock Island awarded State of Illinois grant for Arts Alley
- Riverfront Council Recognizes Downtown Rock Island for revitalization efforts
- Bike to Work and Spring Cleanup events engage Downtown Rock Island workforce
- Multimillion-dollar Downtown Rock Island streetscaping project moves forward
- City Council updated on efforts to revitalize Downtown Rock Island
- New Orleans flair coming to Downtown Rock Island
- Student's award-wining artwork becomes mural in Downtown Rock Island
- Downtown Rock Island Director hired to help lead revitalization efforts
- City of Rock Island selects Quad Cities Chamber to manage downtown
- Arron Sutherland, Illinois Casualty Company (Chair)
- Nicole Watson-Lam, Ms. BriMani’s Hair & Beauty Supply/The Urban Reserve (Vice Chair)
- Paul Phares, Robert Young Center/UnityPoint Health - Trinity