Woltmann House (Henry Woltmann)
533 30th Street
Rock Island's 100 Most Significant Unprotected Structures, 2009
Front gable style Italianate with uncommon original porch and many other fine details
Architect / Builder
Although only about ten percent of Italianate homes are the front gabled sub-type, they are relatively common in Rock Island due to our narrow urban lots. This example is outstanding, with an original porch, gable ornaments, corbelled brick walls and original shutters. It is two stories tall with a diamond shaped window in the peak of the front gable. The front gable has sawn ornamentation in the center with scallops and quatrefoils. Italianates often have bracketed cornices, but none are shown here. There are corbelled brick walls and the window headers are brick. Original louvered shutters flank two over two double hung windows. The front entrance has double doors with arched window tops, although covered by an aluminum storm door. There is a large window transom above the doorway. The front porch was probably wood at one time, but is now concrete, although the original columns have been retained. The full facade front porch has beveled posts, with brackets located at ninety degree angles in all four directions, which is not common. There is a one-story bay on the south side. Note that the roofline is bracketed on the bay.
According to the property abstract, the first residents of this home were Mr. and Mrs. Henry Woltmann, and the property extended north to what is now 5th Avenue. Woltmann was a farmer who also operated a saloon at Water & Washington Streets, which today is 1st Avenue at 18th Street. Until 1878, 30th Street was known as Elm Street. In 1885, Woltmann's Hall, which was probably located above the saloon, served as the Democratic headquarters for Rock Island. Mr. Woltmann was also a director of the People's National Bank. After her aunt died, Rose Woltmann came to 533 30th Street to take care her uncle and the household. The Woltmanns did not have children, but had several nieces. As early as 1905, the house was divided into two apartments, with Miss Rose Woltmann in one half. She never married, and would live here until 1956. With the Chicago, Rock Island & Pacific Depot located so close by, it is not surprising that many of the tenants were employed by the railroad.