1250 21st Avenue
Rock Island Landmark, 1990
Early rural Italianate associated with important local people and an orphanage.
Architect / Builder
A long list of prominent citizens has resided in this magnificent Italianate home high on a hill looking over the Mississippi River valley. The original owner, O.J. Dimick, built it in 1872 at a cost of $8,000, using 145,000 bricks made at the spot where Rock Island High School now stands. Dimick was in the horse racing business and invested heavily in real estate. His family life turned tragic in 1878 when two of his children, five-year old Eddie and nine-year old Josie, died in the home on the same day from diphtheria. The children were buried in nearby Chippiannock Cemetery, and according to local legend, their Newfoundland dog stayed by the children’s gravesites each day until his own death. In honor of the dog’s devotion, the family placed a life-
size statue of the dog next to the children’s gravesite to guard it forever.